Goin' Yard

18 May 2009

Broadcast #10 - at New York

Continuing with my New Jersey / New York report with the game.

Well, giving up an 88th minute goal while playing up a man is never a good feeling, so I think everybody in orange walked away with a sour taste after the 1-1 tie. But for me, it was pretty cool to broadcast a game at Giants Stadium. I grew up watching NFL teams play there, and I worked there as an intern in 2002, so it's a home of sorts to me. Even though it's not a great facility for soccer, given its size, it's pretty neat that I got to broadcast a game there before the Red Bulls move into the spectacular Red Bull Arena next year. I tried to take a picture to capture the moment (or the moment after the moment, since I was off the air by this point, and the stadium was empty), but I think it looks pretty crappy.

I felt I had a pretty strong game - set some personal goals as far as giving the score and minute often, and I think I did that. My boss said he listened to some of it and thought I was really strong in the first 10 minutes, particularly by giving the score and minute. I did pretty well with some saves and both goal calls, although I probably didn't get to all the storylines I wanted to.

Overall, though, a pretty decent game. I'll post a clip of the goal once I get the full audio file from our radio station. I went with "to Wondolowski ... FINISHES!" for the goal call and wrapped up the highlight with "what a big goal!" I don't know that either will be a catch phrase (second time I've used the 'FINISHES' line) but I'm really sick and tired of trying to find a goal call. I'd rather just be natural. For the New York goal, I was really frustrated, so I think I ended the call with "you've got to be kidding me."

Hey, when you work for the team, you're allowed to be a bit of a homer.

Anyway, I wrapped up a solid broadcast by saying "Kansas City Lizards" on the post-game show instead of Wizards. Whoops. I corrected it right away, of course, but I thought it was a pretty funny slip of the tongue.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home